I have been eyeing a recipe from Fresh from the Farmstand ever since this challenge began…
(Psst… Have you entered to win a copy of the cookbook?)
Anyhoo… I had made a Whole Grain Blueberry Coffee Cake a while back… but since starting this challenge, I thought that I could eek a little more calories/fat out of it and add a little more fiber in…
Below is my revised recipe and I am oh-so pleased!
Changes I made?
- I reduced the butter by 1 T and used Light Butter instead of regular.
- I used Whole Grain Cream of Wheat instead of regular.
- I used White Whole Wheat Flour instead of All Purpose.
- I used 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar- Splenda blend instead of 1 Cup Brown Sugar. (Note: If you don’t want to use Splenda, you might try using Honey.)
- I used Skim Milk.
- I also used 1 1/2 Cup Fresh Blueberries instead of 2 Cups Mixed Berries just because that is what I had on hand.
- Oh and I spread the 8-10 servings among 12 cavities in my Brownie Pan and the portions were PLENTY big. (Truth be told the Brownie Pan is one of my favorite portion control tools ).
Revised from Gooseberry Patch's Fresh From the Farmstand.
- 2 T Melted Light Butter
- 1 Cup Long Cooking Oats
- 1 Cup Whole Grain Hot Cereal (Cream of Wheat)- uncooked
- 1 Cup White Whole WheatFlour
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar/ Splenda Blend
- 1 Egg Slightly Beaten
- 1 Cup Skim Milk
- 1/4 Cup Oil
- 1 T Baking Powder
- 1/2 t Salt
- 1 1/2 Cups Blueberries
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Walnuts
- Combine all ingredients except berries and nuts.
- Fold in berries and nuts
- Pour into a lightly sprayed brownie pan (or 9 x13 pan).
- Bake at 350 for 20 minutes (longer if 9 x13)
Calories 233 Total Fat 8.5g Sat. Fat 1.1g Cholest. 18.5mg Sodium 210.9mg Carb. 34.2g Fiber 4.1g Sugars 11.2g Protein 5.7g
Affiliate links were used in this post.